The Whitfield Family House on Granton Street

The Whitfield family established their residence on Granton Street in 1906 after Arthur Whitfield purchased the Romanesque Revival mansion following his success as a wholesale machinery merchant. Three generations lived there, including Arthur, his wife Eleanor, their children, and later grandchildren who assisted with family affairs. Their income came from industrial equipment sales, factory supply contracts, and commercial investments.
Local records describe the house as a prominent neighborhood residence with active reception rooms, a private office, and maintained upper floors. The tower, stone porch, and formal interiors remained in regular use during the family’s strongest years.

The first warning sign appeared in 1927 when Whitfield Machinery Company lost several factory contracts and began delaying payments to suppliers. During the economic downturn of the early 1930s, Arthur reduced household expenses by dismissing staff and closing several unused bedrooms on the upper floors. Repairs to the slate roof, granite arches, and exterior masonry were postponed as business debts increased. After Arthur’s death in 1932, disagreements among heirs delayed decisions about the estate. By 1934, unpaid taxes and inheritance disputes forced Eleanor and the remaining family members to leave Granton Street.

The Whitfield House was abandoned in 1935 after foreclosure followed years of business decline, unpaid taxes, and unresolved inheritance disputes. No restoration occurred, and no Whitfield descendants returned after leaving Granton Street. Municipal records documented ownership complications and continued deterioration of the vacant mansion. The interior rooms remained closed, with personal papers and household belongings left behind. Over the decades, moisture damage, structural wear, and neglect affected the granite residence. The Romanesque Revival mansion remains empty on the residential street, deteriorating without restoration or confirmed future ownership.