The Harrow Estate on Pinecrest Avenue

The Harrow family established their estate on Pinecrest Avenue in 1908 after William Harrow built the stone mansion following his success in the regional timber industry. Three generations lived there, including William, his wife Clara, their children, and later grandchildren who shared the large Craftsman residence. The family income came from lumber operations, forest leases, and sawmill partnerships throughout the Pacific Northwest.

Historical records describe the estate as a carefully maintained home with active use of the great room, workshop, library, and upper bedrooms during the years when the timber business remained strong.

The first warning sign appeared in 1926 when Harrow Lumber Company recorded delayed payments from buyers and reduced orders from construction firms. After the timber market weakened during the early 1930s, William dismissed workers and reduced household expenses by closing several upper bedrooms. Repairs to the cedar roof, copper details, and granite porch columns were postponed as debts increased. Following William’s illness in 1932, management of the company became difficult. By 1934, unpaid business loans and property taxes forced the Harrow family to leave Pinecrest Avenue while creditors reviewed ownership of the estate.

The Harrow Estate was abandoned in 1935 after foreclosure followed years of timber industry decline, unpaid loans, and rising property taxes. No restoration occurred, and no Harrow descendants returned after leaving Pinecrest Avenue. County records noted unsuccessful ownership transfers and continued deterioration of the vacant mansion. The interior rooms remained closed, preserving business documents and household furnishings left behind. Over the decades, moisture, weather exposure, and structural wear affected the stone walls, cedar roofing, and timber details. The Romanesque Revival and Craftsman mansion remains empty on the residential street, slowly deteriorating without restoration or confirmed future use.

Back to top button
Translate »