The Delacroix Estate Abandoned After Olive Trade Collapse

The Delacroix family established Valemont House in 1906 after Henri Delacroix purchased woodland property near Saint Aurelia and expanded the residence beside inherited olive groves. Three generations lived there, including Henri, his wife Marguerite, their children, and later grandchildren who managed cultivation, storage rooms, and estate accounts. The family earned income from olive production, oil exports, and regional agricultural contracts.
Local records describe a maintained residence with active courtyards, gardens, and working terraces before changing markets and financial pressures weakened the family business.

The first warning sign appeared in 1927 when international olive prices declined and several export agreements were cancelled. By 1929, the Delacroix family dismissed estate workers, closed the upper tower rooms, and reduced maintenance of the courtyard pools, terraces, and vine-covered passages. Repairs to damaged mosaic paths and roof domes were delayed as supplier debts increased. The economic downturn of the early 1930s caused unpaid agricultural loans, storage costs, and property taxes to accumulate. In 1933, the olive business failed, and the family left Valemont House for a smaller residence in Saint Aurelia.

Valemont House was abandoned in 1934 after the collapse of the Delacroix olive business, unpaid debts, and the loss of the family income source ended their ownership. No restoration occurred, and no Delacroix descendants returned after leaving Saint Aurelia. Property records documented failed auctions and unresolved responsibility for repairs. The rooms remained closed with furniture, documents, and personal belongings left behind. Over decades, weather, vegetation, and neglect damaged the courtyard, terraces, and interior spaces. The Mediterranean Moorish Victorian estate remains empty among the cedar trees, continuing to deteriorate without restoration or confirmed future use.