The Bellrose Manor Records from Blackstone Plateau

The Bellrose family arrived on Blackstone Plateau in 1909 after Henry Bellrose purchased the volcanic property and built the Art Nouveau manor as part of a commercial nursery venture. Three generations lived there: Henry and his wife Clara, their two children, and Henry’s widowed sister, who helped manage the household. The family earned its income from rare plants, greenhouse cultivation, and contracts supplying ornamental trees to nearby towns.

For more than a decade, the isolated estate operated successfully despite its difficult terrain. County records show regular payrolls, tax payments, and maintenance during the manor’s occupied years.

The first warning appeared in 1923 when Bellrose Nurseries failed to receive payment for several large municipal orders. A severe winter damaged greenhouse stock the following year, forcing Henry to borrow against the property. Falling demand for ornamental plants made repayment difficult, and he dismissed two gardeners while closing the upper conservatory rooms during winter. Repairs to the copper dome, slate eaves, and iron balconies were postponed. After Henry died in 1926, his children disputed control of the nursery. By 1928, unpaid bank loans and property taxes forced Clara to leave the plateau with her children and move to relatives in the valley.

{img: Interior of Bellrose Manor’s observatory room after final abandonment. Dust covers the narrow wooden floor, old nursery records,

Back to top button
Translate »