The Caldwell Townhouse on Harbor Street

The Caldwell family established their townhouse on Harbor Street in 1906 after Frederick Caldwell purchased the coastal property during his successful years as a shipping agent. Three generations lived there, including Frederick, his wife Helen, their children, and later grandchildren who shared the narrow but carefully maintained residence. The family earned income from maritime trade, vessel contracts, and warehouse management along the harbor.
Local records describe the Second Empire townhouse as a respected family home with active use of the parlor, office, and upper bedrooms before changes in coastal commerce weakened the family’s financial position.

The first warning sign appeared in 1927 when Caldwell Shipping received overdue notices for dock fees and vessel repairs. After coastal trade slowed during the early 1930s, Frederick dismissed office assistants and reduced household expenses. The family closed the third-floor bedroom rooms and postponed repairs to the mansard roof, porch railings, and granite foundation. Following Frederick’s illness in 1932, business responsibilities became difficult to manage. By 1934, unpaid company debts and property taxes forced the family to leave Harbor Street, with creditors beginning legal proceedings over the remaining estate.

The Caldwell Townhouse was abandoned in 1935 after foreclosure followed years of shipping industry decline, unpaid debts, and unresolved estate matters. No restoration occurred, and no Caldwell descendants returned after relocating away from Harbor Street. Municipal records noted complicated ownership transfers and continued deterioration of the vacant residence. The interior rooms remained closed, preserving documents and household belongings left behind. Over the following decades, coastal moisture, weather exposure, and structural wear affected the townhouse. The Second Empire residence remains empty near the harbor, slowly deteriorating without restoration or confirmed future use.