The Marlowe Villa by Bellmere Lake

The Marlowe family established their villa beside Bellmere Lake in 1857 after Charles Marlowe purchased the property through earnings from his regional shipping and grain trading business. Three generations lived there, including Charles, his wife Amelia, their children, and later grandchildren who assisted with company records and estate management. Their income came from lake transport contracts, grain storage, and agricultural trade with nearby towns.

Historical records describe the Italianate villa as a notable lakeshore residence with formal terraces, maintained interiors, and carefully preserved stonework during the family’s strongest period.

The first warning sign appeared in 1927 when Marlowe Trading Company lost several contracts after rail transportation replaced much of the lake shipping business. The family reduced expenses by dismissing grounds workers, closing unused guest rooms, and postponing repairs to the copper roof, limestone columns, and garden terraces. After Charles’s grandson William died in 1931, disagreements among relatives delayed decisions about selling the villa. By 1934, unpaid business loans, overdue property taxes, and inheritance disputes forced the remaining Marlowes to leave Bellmere Lake.

The Marlowe Villa was abandoned in 1935 after foreclosure ended years of commercial decline, unpaid debts, and unresolved inheritance disputes. No restoration occurred, and no Marlowe family members returned to occupy the lakeshore residence. Records showed later ownership changes but no successful preservation work. Moisture, weather, and neglect gradually damaged the stucco walls, balconies, and interior rooms. The Italianate villa remains beside Bellmere Lake, empty and deteriorating with no restoration completed and no confirmed future use.

Back to top button
Translate »