The Whitmore Mansion on Ashbury Street

The Whitmore family established their residence on Ashbury Street in 1907 after Charles Whitmore built the Colonial Revival mansion following his success as a regional banking executive. Three generations lived there, including Charles, his wife Eleanor, their children, and later grandchildren who assisted with family affairs. Their income came from banking services, commercial loans, and suburban property investments.
Local records describe the mansion as a prominent neighborhood residence with active formal rooms, a private office, and regular maintenance. The columns, cupola, and curved rear wing remained important features of the home during the family’s most successful period.

The first warning sign appeared in 1927 when Whitmore Banking Company lost several commercial clients and experienced declining income from investments. During the economic downturn of the early 1930s, Charles reduced expenses by dismissing household workers and closing several unused bedrooms on the upper floors. Repairs to the copper cupola, marble steps, and exterior shutters were postponed as debts increased. After Charles died in 1932, disagreements among heirs delayed decisions about the estate. By 1934, unpaid taxes and inheritance disputes forced Eleanor and the remaining family members to leave Ashbury Street.

The Whitmore Mansion was abandoned in 1935 after foreclosure followed years of financial decline, unpaid property taxes, and unresolved inheritance disputes. No restoration occurred, and no Whitmore descendants returned after leaving Ashbury Street. Municipal records documented ownership complications and continued deterioration of the vacant residence. The interior rooms remained closed, with household papers and personal belongings left behind. Over the decades, moisture damage, structural wear, and neglect affected the brick mansion. The Colonial Revival residence remains empty on the suburban street, deteriorating without restoration or confirmed future ownership.